eat, sleep, run
Ignite your desire to run in king west
Day or night, heavy snow or extreme heat, after a long day of work or during a holiday. No matter the conditions, a runner is always game to get in 5 or 10 kms. BlackToe Running, an independent urban running speciality store located at the corner of Bathurst and King, understands your need for speed, in part because the staff are runners too, and they’re ready to help you embrace your addiction.
Toronto caters to people who love to work hard and play harder. And that is one reason why there are so many runners on the city’s sidewalks, paths and trails. Runners can often be classified as Type A individuals who work hard to be the best in whatever they do. Running helps them to become more disciplined, assists them with goal setting, and keeps them in peak physical and mental condition.
It’s not uncommon to hear a runner talk about how addictive running can be or how it helps alleviate anxiety and stress. But, as those same runners know, running can also be very difficult for beginners. Fortunately, the rise of running clubs is helping new runners overcome common running hurdles so that they can find their runner’s high.
One such club, BlackToe Running, has become a staple in the King West Village for runners of all skill levels. Founded in 2013 by a couple who turned their passion into a business, it offers specialty services that won’t be found in bigger chain stores, including a high-tech bio-mechanical analysis system that will measure your gait and where you carry weight on your feet.
The BlackToe Run Club is ideal for beginners. For a nominal $25 per month, members go on a weekly run where coaches will help them improve their speed, endurance and strength. You will also receive a weekly running schedule, tips about proper technique and nutrition, and discounts on running gear! Plus you get tons of support from your new running buddies.
You can also sign up for a one-time consultation, or drop in for a free tempo session on Friday or long run on Sunday.
Whether you need a new pair of shorts, a GPS watch or just someone to talk to about running, BlackToe will help you get on track.
Tips for beginners:
- Set a goal – Running with a purpose will help you stick with running longer than running for fun (unfortunately, not every run will be fun).
- Buy shoes that support you – If you’ve got a clunky old pair of gym shoes from a few years ago, toss them! BlackToe has an exceptional collection of shoes specifically designed for your running needs and fashion preferences. Do you underpronate? Overpronate? The staff there can recommend the best shoe for you (and explain what those terms mean).
- Hydrate and rest up – It’s always important to drink water, but it’s essential for runners to drink lots of water throughout the day to perform at their peak. Sleep is equally as important. Aim for 7 – 8 hours each night.
- Change up your routine – Running the same distance at the same pace will eventually stop providing benefits, and get stale fast. Most runs should be relatively short and done at a comfortable, conversational pace. But making time for a longer run is important for building endurance.
- Don’t be discouraged – No one is judging you if you have to stop and walk. In fact, people are probably admiring your dedication to running. Remember, no one starts out a professional, but you can certainly work towards becoming a seasoned runner.